Friday, April 30, 2010

Why I Love Lou Amundson

As with other professional sports leagues, I watch the NBA to see the best basketball players in the world. I love watching LeBron James embarrass defenders with a strong drive to the basket. I'm always amazed at the consistency with which prolific shooters like Stephen Curry can hit shots from beyond the arc. I'm particularly partial to dynamic blocks; the sheer athleticism of top defenders such as Josh Smith is a mix of impressive and terrifying.

At the same time, watching LeBron, Kobe and Durant dominate the NBA on a nightly basis is somewhat depressing. Like many young boys, I grew up hoping to one day become a professional athlete. Unlike most boys, I ended up a 5'8" Jewish white guy with limited athletic ability and an abundance of upper-arm hair; no one will be confusing me for an NBA player any time soon. It's hard to stomach the fact that, no matter how many hours I put into the sports I love, I'll never be able to do some of the things guys like Carmelo Anthony and Steve Nash have been doing since they were thirteen.  While I respect the NBA's super-duper-stars, there's something refreshing about watching guys who run on energy and grit rather than speed and athleticism.

That's why I love Lou Amundson, and was excited to see him getting regular minutes in last nights Game Six (and series ending) Phoenix Suns victory over the Portland Trail Blazers. For those of you who don't know Amundson, he's a 27 year-old, 6'9" power forward out of UNLV who's split his NBA career between Philadelphia, Utah and Phoenix (where he's established himself as a useful backup). He's a "garbage man" type player who, like yours truly, knows that if he out-hustles his opponents and puts himself in the right place at the right time, he can grab enough rebounds and hit enough put-back layups to warrant a roster spot. I've seen him play a good amount and have yet to see him attempt, let alone make, a jumpshot. On the flip side, he ranked in the top 15 in the NBA this season in both rebounds and blocks per 48 minutes played.

Amundson's hustle has earned himself playing time on a Western Conference contender.

If I grew twelve inches taller and joined an NBA team, I'd be Lou Amundson.  I'd have bounced between three NBA teams (and the D-League's Colorado 14ers) in my first five years of professional basketball.  I'd be overlooked by every player I matched-up against, but would constantly frustrate them with my refusal to lower my energy level.  I'd be a good teammate and the type of "glue guy" that keeps teams calm and collected during tough times and entertains everyone when things are going well.  I'd ride my bike to and from practice everyday.  And I'd definitely have a hairstyle and facial hair pattern that make me look that I don't get paid enough to regularly visit a barber.  I'm looking forward to playing in my weekly Saturday AM pickup game tomorrow and, in Lou Amundson's honor, I won't shave beforehand.

No comments: