Saturday, April 16, 2011

Life In Sacramento Just Got Worse

Overall, I root for some pretty mediocre teams.  In the four major sports, I've lived to see three world championships: two Giants Super Bowls (and I can't really remember the first one) and one Braves World Series.  Sure, the Braves have made the playoffs and even the Fall Classic a number of times over the past twenty years, but only once did they win the big one.  The Islanders dominant run concluded just before I was born (and they've been absolutely awful pretty much ever since), and while the Knicks have had some memorable moments (and a couple of NBA Finals appearances) that I can remember, they haven't been NBA Champions since well before my time.  Given all of this, sometimes I feel I have a reason to complain about being a Braves, Knicks, Isles and Giants fan.

And then, I watch a video like this one that brings me back to reality.


Yes, it's rough rooting for underperforming teams, but at least I know my teams will still be playing next season no matter what happens during this one.  With the exception of the Isles (who could conceivably move to Kansas City or Canada, or, at the very least, Queens or Brooklyn some day), my teams are among the most stable in sports.  People support the Knicks and Giants no matter how bad they are, and while the Braves' attendance is an issue, the team has relatively stable ownership, a nice stadium and good management.  At the end of each season, no matter how it turns out, I can start to think ahead to the offseason and enjoy the hope that surrounds every "next year."

The same can't be said for Sacramento Kings fans right now.  With it looking increasingly likely that the Kings will move south to Anaheim before the 2011-12 season begins (whenever that will be, given the lockout situation), thousands of dedicated Kings faithful will be left without professional basketball.  The Kings situation isn't getting nearly as much publicity as the Seattle Sonics' did before they left for Oklahoma City, but in many ways the Kings issue is sadder.  At least when the Sonics left, Seattle still had Mariners baseball, Seahawks football, two beautiful and modern sports facilities and even a WNBA team to enjoy.  Sacramento fans will be left without any professional sports (even the WNBA Monarchs folded before last season) and will be forced to stare at the ugly and empty Power Balance Pavilion (apparently what they're calling Arco Arena nowadays . . .) as a reminder of the good ole' days when Sacramento had an NBA team.

I can't say I understand what Kings fans are going through right now, but I definitely feel for them.  Given how much time, passion and hope people pour into their teams, losing one of them must feel like losing a close friend.  I wish Sacramento fans the best.  And hey - if you can figure out a way to get an ice hockey rink into Power Balance Pavilion, you're more than welcome to take my Islanders.

No comments: