Friday, June 24, 2011

That's Not Funny

Those of you who know me understand that I love TV comedy.  I can't remember the last time I tuned in for a TV drama (I never even followed supposed "can't miss" shows like Lost or Mad Men), but every week I make sure to catch 30 Rock, Family Guy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and a bunch of other sitcoms.  That's why I look forward to the NBA Draft every year; it's usually a perfect blend of sports and unintentional comedy that I can't stay away from.  This year, though?  Not only was the NBA Draft void of (many) exciting college names and filled with relatively unknown international prospects, but the draftees didn't come through with the hilarious antics that I have come to expect from them.

Ever since I was a kid, I understood that the NBA Draft was a night to celebrate either a) borderline criminals sporting gaudy suits and flashy jewlery or b) extremely awkward European guys.  This year?  Somehow the NBA Draft was filled with seemingly high character college players (Knight, Walker, Fredette, Butler), and the international guys seemed, on the whole, to be good ambassadors for their home countries.  Even the outfits were subdued, with almost everyone wearing traditional suits and ties.  Where were all the vests?  The bow ties?  The giant watches?

Conservatively dressed, high character guys selected in the top ten?  What kind of NBA Draft is this?

Perhaps most disappointingly, the reaction following another characteristically brutal Knicks first round selection was lacking.  I've been watching the NBA draft for at least fifteen years, and pretty much every year the script reads like this: the Knicks make an awful first round selection (Sweetney, Frye, Hill, Weis) that David Stern announces proudly, followed by the Knicks-fan-laden theater erupting in boos, profanity and confused looks.  As a Knicks fan, I always came away crushed by the pick but pleased with the strong fan reaction.  This year, though, the Knicks did their part (Iman Shumpert?  Really?), but shockingly the fans let me down.  Sure, there was some booing and collective dropping of jaws, but not nearly to the extent of drafts past.  I think the temporary move of the draft from Madison Square Garden to the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ might have had something to do with it, but I was still underwhelmed by what is traditionally my favorite part of the broadcast.

As usual, the announcing combination of Stuart Scott, Jay Bilas and Jeff van Gundy provided viewers with some (mostly unintentional) comedic moments and, as usual, Bill Simmons has done a great job of capturing the highlights in his running diary.  On the whole though, the NBA Draft became a lot less comical and whole lot more professional almost overnight.  Maybe it was the looming lockout prompting rookies-to-be to take the event more seriously?  Perhaps the temporary move from MSG in Manhattan to The Rock in Newark dulled an otherwise ultra-flashy event?  Maybe NBA players are becoming more mature (yeah, right)?  Whatever the reason, the 2011 NBA draft just didn't tickle my funny bone.

No comments: