Friday, November 26, 2010

Smooth Skating

This fall alone, I've been stuck in the Oracle Arena parking lot for 45 minutes following a Warriors game against the Knicks and avoided going to the bathroom at Stanford Stadium for hours because of long lines during Stanford versus Arizona.  When I pay big money (or even when I pay nothing at all) to go to a sporting event, I expect the stadiums and arenas to add to, rather than take away from, the live game experience.  The RBC Center in Raleigh, North Carolina is the perfect type of facility - a modern, clean and efficient arena that is refreshingly well-run.

After an easy ride to the RBC Center parking lot (thanks to parking lot attendants who were actually directing traffic), I entered the arena and immediately noticed a huge selection of food options.  Not only did RBC have numerous fixed concession stands, but the concourse was filled with wheel-able carts selling Carolina BBQ, four different types of sausages, ice cream, healthy options and more.  As I walked around the stadium to our seats, I saw that each of the stands and carts could be found in multiple places, meaning that fans don't have to walk more than a few sections over to find their favorite snacks.  Prices as a whole were between reasonable and typical, and because it was "Family Night" all hot dogs, regularly priced at an already-fair $3, were only $1.

I was impressed with the inside of the RBC Center, too.  Built in 1997 when the Hurricanes moved to Raleigh, the arena had new-looking red seats, tons of nice video boards and a great-looking Jumbotron (similar to the one I saw at HP Pavilion last week).  It's an above-average looking NHL arena - seemingly well-suited to host the NHL All Star game this coming January - and runs as smootly as any I've been to in recent memory.  The people working there are knowledgable, attentive and nice, which coming from New York and having become used to Yankee Stadium, Madison Square Garden and Nassau Coliseum, I wasn't used to.

 Despite the open seats, energy was high for Hurricanes vs. Capitals at the RBC Center.

The game itself - a battle between the Hurricanes and the Washington Capitals - was fine.  The crowd was somewhat sparce, but perhaps that was to be expected for the night before Thanksgiving.  Despite being only about two-thirds full, the arena was loud during key moments and following the Canes' two goals.  I'm not sure how often RBC is full for either Canes or NC State Wolfpack basketball games (it's a pretty amazing venue for a college basketball team, and I had no idea that NC State played there until I saw their banners hanging from the rafters), but when it is I'm sure it's a great place to watch a game.  If you're in the Raleigh-Durham area, take a trip to the RBC Center for an NHL hockey or ACC basketball game if you want to see how a sports facility should be run.

No comments: