Monday, April 15, 2013

Through the Plexiglass

Even though I previously covered my experience at Raleigh, NC's PNC Arena (formerly known as the RBC Center), my second trip to the home of the Carolina Hurricanes was certainly unique enough to warrant its own post.  The first time around, I credited RBC for being a well-run, efficient hockey facility inhabited by a great fan base, especially considering that a) the Raleigh-Durham area doesn't have any other professional sports franchises and b) North Carolina isn't what comes to mind when you think about a hockey-loving state.  For my second trip, however, I got to do something that I've never done at an NHL game before - sit in the first row, right behind the glass.  More specifically, as the picture below will attest, I was sitting directly behind one of the nets with a goalie's-eye view.

If you thought the prospect of being an NHL goalie was terrifying before, you need to experience a hockey game from these seats.  The first thing you notice is the pure speed of everything - the puck, the players and even the referees are moving so quickly that losing focus for even a split-second can be catastrophic for a netminder.  The fact that there aren't 10+ goals scored by each team, each game seems incredible to me.  Even more amazing are plays like the save highlighted in the video below, which I had an absolutely perfect view of (if you look closely, you can see me right behind the net in a grey hooded sweatshirt, sitting next to my Dad in a dark green polo).   



I've had the opportunity to sit in the front row for MLB games and courtside for NBA games, but nothing can compare to the wow-factor associated with these rink-side seats directly behind the goal.  Even from other great seats, I've always felt like I was watching a game.  From these seats, however, I could feel an adrenaline rush normally reserved for someone playing in a game.  I found myself adopting a goaltender's mentality, scanning the ice for developing scoring chances and even positioning my own torso to mimic Hurricanes goalie Justin Peters.  When Peters shifted towards his right (like in the photo below, which gives you a great feel for my view), I couldn't help but do the same.

Now I know what an NHL goalie sees during a professional hockey game.

The other incredible thing about sitting right up against the glass was how loud everything was.  The sound of the puck smacking off of the glass on an errant shot consistently made me flinch - although I knew I was completely protected, I couldn't help it.  Every time the players crashed into the boards behind the goal (which happens more often than you might realize while watching the game from a different vantage point), you can hear and feel a thunderous boom that underscores the strength and speed of NHL athletes.  After sitting in these incredible seats at PNC Arena, I honestly think I have a new-found appreciation for the sport of hockey.  With the league (and the Islanders) heading into the playoffs later this month, my timing couldn't have been more perfect.  

No comments: